Fighting Against HIV/AIDS
The Bible Society of Rwanda is helping the Church work with those who are infected and affected by HIV/AIDS.
The Good Samaritan programme was launched in 2005 when the government approached the Church in Rwanda and asked them to get involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS. The Bible Society’s bible based materials gave the churches a brilliant tool to reach out to those in their communities. Years later the material is being used by youth groups in high schools, universities and churches, rehabilitation centres, HIV support groups, and by church leaders in different churches and faith based organisations.
Using this material, the churches alongside the Bible Society aim to:
- help reduce the spread of HIV,
- reduce the level of stigmatization and discrimination within the Christian community,
- create a culture of interaction among Christians on issues related to HIV,
- rebuild hope for infected and affected people,
- promote sex education,
- and reduce the risk of vulnerability among young people under 20 years old.
Photo: a member of an HIV/AIDS support group in Rwanda (credit: Francois Sieberhagen)